How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14323
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have been with Vodaphone for over 30 years - and a couple

This answer was rated:

I have been with Vodaphone for over 30 years - and a couple of years ago when i retired, i tried to phone and change my plan. Every time i phoned, they refused to talk to me as my' rememberable information' was incorrect. In desperation, i hired a techie to come and cancel the contract - they left us on the phone for hours and hours. I was told the renewal date was Oct 22 and i could do nothing until that date. In desperation, we paid from August up to the end of the contract and then removed them from my direct debit. I got a new supplier and am very happy. Vodaphone now say i owe them £25.00 and have given it to a collection agency. I have written to them -while talking to the agency, we discovered they had my birthday down as 1/1/1999 - I was born in 1947 and they had made a mistake. I have written to Vodaphone a week ago - they will not answer the phone during the Covid19 time. They have not replied - what can i do Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Gloucestershire and have a flat in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried to phone Vodaphone - I have sent them two letters - the last one week ago. I have had about 15 calls from the collection agency and I have explained the situation every time - they agree i have a problem, but are still chasing me!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really - i could pay this, but do feel very aggrieved that they have made the mistake - i have been a very big client since the early 1980;s and i want to know what i can do

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You can allege breach of contract against Vodafone (you have consumer rights here which have been infringed in my view). Debt collectors have no powers - they simply write to you to demand payment. They are not bailiffs so cannot enter your home. Just turn them away and tell them you dispute the charge with Vodafone.

Given the circumstances of your case I recommend that you make a formal complaint to Vodafone and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter).

You can make the complaint with Vodafone here:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the adjudication scheme (CISAS) - they will investigate and liaise with Vodafone which would hopefully result in a refund of any monies paid. They can also order the phone company to make a financial award if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of Vodafone's conduct.

You can escalate to the adjudicator here :

If Vodafone issue a small claim, which is doubtful as it would cost them the same again to issue it and then more to instruct solicitors - ensure you fill out the response pack which the court will send you. You can always come back if required and I will assist.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you