Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Can an employer on 8 June (today) send an e mail terminating

Can an employer on 8 June (today) send an e mail terminating a labour contract retroactively from 22 May?
JA: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Don‘t know, but neiter legal nor Hr were copied on the e mail
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Don‘t know, but neiter legal nor Hr were copied on the e mail
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don‘t know, but neiter legal nor Hr were copied on the e mail

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Please explain the situation and circumstances in some detail. What reason did the employer provide for doing this and how long have you they worked there for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son Sebastiaan was employed by the company in December 2019. in March the Company wanted to lay him off because of Covid, but he counter proposed furlough which they accepted. They made him sign the furlough statement and paid him 80 % of his salary in March and April. Than the claimed that they had fired him but he wrote back that instead of receiving a written notice he was put on furlough and they had paid 80%. Today he received a e mail that he was fired retroactively on 20 May. I can send the relevant docs by e mail. My mail is***@******.***.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or I can phone you as it will save you cost

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst he has no unfair dismissal protection because he has not been there for 2 year, he can challenge the retrospective dismissal.

The dismissal would inly be effective once notice of termination has been effectively communicated to him. If no notice has been submitted on the date they try and claim his dismissal occurred, they cannot backdate it in that way. He would therefore expect them to pay him for the time between the alleged dismissal date and the date his employment actually terminated, when notice was properly communicated to him.