How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74423
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We ordered and paid for a kitchen from Wren in February. The

This answer was rated:

We ordered and paid for a kitchen from Wren in February. The main part of the kitchen was installed on 16th March . As we had ordered special worktops we were told it would be 2 weeks before they were specially cut and delivered. When told us that the company supplying the worktops would give us temp worktops as an interim. This never happened as everyone subsequently denied that was their policy. We had to spend nearly £70 on temp mdf worktops. Then lockdown came around and we were told there would be a further 3 week min delay. We accepted that but it was middle of May before they came to fit them. This was messed up as they did not install all the upstands (at the rear of the worktop against the walls). We have been battling with Wren since then as it is their contract and despite promises of being called back we do all the chasing.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: not talked to a lawyer yet and we are in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: endoess phone calls with promises that someone will get back to us when it’s us that have to do the chasing. Then today we had an email from the company telling us they believed all the work had been done.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we are retired people, not vulnerable, but very very anxious that our voice is not being heard. We want to demand compensation for the costs we have involved and the extreme stress we are under.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What are you ideally hoping for, given the ongoing issue you are having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just want our kitchen finished, but we have also incurred expense re the temp worktops, so we want that refunded. A compensatory payment given the stress we have had is also something we want. Otherwise we will go public anyway we can and shame Wren Kitchens

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we have a phone conversation around 4pm today as we have to go out this afternoon?

Many thanks for your patience. Ideally, you want to try and resolve this directly with the supplier and you should invoke their formal complaints procedure to do so, pursuing it to full completion.

If that does not resolve matters, you can consider taking this further legally., If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.