Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

A few months ago I sold an engine from a car, not from an

Hi there, a few months ago I sold an engine from a car, not from an advert but due to the seller approaching myself. The item was clearly sold as a used item. The buyer dismantled the item and it has since broken, from which they demand a refund for various reasons.
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: In the UK. The purchase was made around December 2019. The buyer did not approach me again until February 2020.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: An initial small refund was given (£80 of total £680) to “keep the peace” with the buyer as we know them personally.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Welcome to JA.

Please can you confirm whether this was a private sale?

Further how can I help you regarding the circumstances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Yes this was a private sale. I’d just like some advice on where I stand with this please.
The buyer has dismantled and rebuilt the item and it now doesn’t perform as intended, and insists that I owe a refund for this.

The good news is buyers have limited rights when products are sold privately. The most important obligation you have to fulfil is giving the right description and if you believe you have done so then its unlikely the buyers claim will succeed. Further the fact he dismantled it may support your argument that he has likley done something which caused the engine to fail.

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clarification of private buyer rights is exactly what I wanted.
Thank you very much

Your welcome and have a great day.