How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14301
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Just a quick question, can I, as an EU individual, file a

This answer was rated:

Hello. just a quick question, can I, as an EU individual, file a complaint about a service provided by a UK based company, and if so, could you please guide me to an appropriate website that can support in this matter? Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Germany
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: contacted the company, involved a lawyer here in Germany, but unfortunately, the company has only a registered address in Frankfurt, no real office
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is this service chargeable and if yes, could you please tell me how much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The matter for which I am writing to you is a classroom IT course hosted by the Knowledge Academy UK, that due to the pandemic, was moved to an online classroom. As seen in the attachment the price difference between the two classes is quite significant, 1200€, and since the incurred costs for the company in organizing the course online have been lower than a normal classroom, I would very much like to recover the difference in price. All attempts made directly with the Knowledge Academy have been futile up until now.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

If you paid by credit card you can see if they will reimburse you under Consumer Credit laws If your credit card company cannot help or you paid the money in another way, you should sue the company as their conduct is unlawful in EU law. They should not charge you for a different service unless you agree to it.

You should send the company a letter before action to say that you believe your consumer rights have been infringed and that you demand repayment of the further payment within 14 days, failing which you will lodge a European Small Claim.

The attached letter is generic and needs to be tailored (and quote the above breach).

You can use the European Small Claims procedure in order to claim. This allows for cross border claims of up to 5,000 euro in value. Assuming they do not respond or they do and refuse to pay, you need to fill in the attached Form A and attach any evidence you wish to rely upon to your local civil court.

The form asks for your bank details and the 25 euro issue fee will be deducted but added to your claim sum. You can also access that form here:

The court will then serve the form on the company who then has 30 days to respond. The court will consider the response and give judgment on the claim (or if further details are required the court will write to either party). They may hold an oral hearing (by telephone if the court has the facilities - which most do have) but with the facts of this case it is unlikely as it should be capable of being dealt with on paper. If you win you get a certificate against the company which means they must pay your claim.

With the letter before action you can email it to the company and include your bank details so they can pay you (ensure you give them the IBAN and BIC code, name of your account and name of the bank).

I hope this helps - if you can please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, I can answer follow up questions at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you