F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I was involved in an accident as a consequence of the

I was involved in an accident as a consequence of the involvement of a blue light call. The fast exit of a police car exiting into a main road, yards from a roundabout. The police sergeant from the station was called and I was told the responsibility would be that of the police. Yet my insurance company are saying that it is my fault. Is this fair?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, where is this? And when did this happen?
Customer: It happened in High Wycombe, buckinghamshire in February 2019.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No court case. It is simply that the insurance has classified it as my fault. The car I drove into causing a tiny crack to the bumper, has claimed personal injury and the claim was over £7k, putting my own insurance costs up going forward.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

im not clear what actually happened - can you explain in more detail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was exiting a roundabout. The car in front pulled up sharp due to a police car with blue lights exiting the station about 10 yards from the roundabout. I broke but hit the vehicle in front causing a tiny crease to his bumper. The police car drove off but the station sergeant was called due to the accident being caused by the fast exit of the police car. We were given a police reference and told that liability would be passed to the police vehicle due to emergency nature of their call. The police car involved was going to be called back for a statement.

Thank you. Ignore the blue light. It is not relevant. The police are not allowed to go on the wrong side of keep left signs, around the roundabout the wrong way, through red lights, speed or ignore road signs.

The problem for you is the fact that you ran into the back of a car. In 99 9% of cases that puts you at fault. You should normally drive at such a speed and distance that whatever happens to the vehicle in front, you can stop in good time. So the purists would say that if you run in the back of a vehicle even of the vehicle stops suddenly and without cause at all (ignoring the blue light situation) it’s your fault if you run in the back of it.

So a lot would depend on whether the police car had broken the law in the manoeuvre leading to the car in front unnecessarily braking.

I’m sorry, I know you for loss of this is not what you wanted to hear but that’s the situation and that’s the way the insurance company are going to look at it.

But I emphasise once again it comes down to whether the police were breaking the law in doing what they were doing.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES