How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18744
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have a female friend who last night had to get the police

This answer was rated:

Hi , I have a female friend who last night had to get the police to inspect her ex husbands house as her two eldest children were staying there ,The police found him intoxicated ,the children were fine but after inspecting the house they found dog fieces all over the place ,in the bedrooms bathroom all over the floors etc . This raised major concerns with her and she is now after advice after the social workers called as to what she can do to stop the children going to his house anymore ?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No nothing at all they are still legally married living apart but this only happened the early hours of this morning
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: she lives in Onchan on the Isle of Man
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure if its needed but she has dealt with a lot of very abusive text messages which she has kept and faced a barrage of you left me etc

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

how old are the children?

and why were they there?

and where is the father now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The are 7 and 8 boy and girl. They went out with their father to a friend’s house and I believe got back to the fathers house around 1045 pm to sleep over for the evening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again the father is still at his house

She needs to stop child contact now and have there is no child arrangement order she needs to immediately make an application for a Child arrangement order for the children to live with her.

If this is in the Isle of Man, the procedure is likely to be completely different than on the mainland and the forms are going to be different including the terminology.

We do not have an Isle of Man law lawyer on here.

In respect of the abusive text messages she can apply to court for a Non-Molestation Order to prevent him coming within 100 m of her or messaging her.

As I said, this is based upon UK mainland law and I imagine the provisions in the Isle of Man are very similar but you would need to check with a local lawyer. At least now she knows that it can be done and what can be done and she knows what she is asking for.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you