F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am a landlord. My tenant who runs a Fire place show room

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My name is***** am a landlord . My tenant who runs a Fire place show room hasn’t paid his rent fully and we are still in dispute. I send him an email on 19th May stating:
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Saying Government has advised shops where the number of customers can be limited to one at a time and enforce social distancing can and should open.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: He has come back to me on June 4th saying Government advice for non essentials as I am is 15th June and I feel you are enticing me to break Gov instruction. Have I broken the Law? And is recant Gov advice is advisory or law ? Since he is to pass my email to local MP in Cheltenham. Thanks
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has shut down dice 24th March and it is not a big or busy shop ,

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

so he's saying he cant open till 15th June and is going to complain about your email - is this correct?

how much is he owing?

was he already behind with rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes he says can’t open before 15th June. He paid half of quarterly rent due on 25 th March after a Phone conversation we had which led to misunderstandings since I offered deferment for half but he said/says was reduction. Exchanged a few emails . My last on 19th May I offered wiping out half of disputed ( 2700) as final compromise with condition that won’t be any further negotiation and £1350 payable on 2 coming quarters (25th June and September) . He hasn’t been behind in the past. He wasn’t happy saying compromise is unilateral and expects more discount and sympathy due to not earning stating other landlords deeds, while I’m a small land lord who needs this rental income for family and also bank loan payment and I’m sure and have pointed out that he has or will benefit from various Gov schemes, grants, council reliefs..