How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
Type Your Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

I am having a dispute with the man next door to me he has

This answer was rated:

I am having a dispute with the young man next door to me he has only moved in a few months ago I have lived here for 20 years. he has right of access down my front garden and a common small drying green . I had to confront him as he had 5 friends round on sat, the next day he moved all are plants and bench off the slabs. and said if we put anything back he will put it and me through my glass greenhouse. this has scared my wife who is 76y and I am 71y can you help.4 families have lived there and had no conflict at all
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No it only happened yesterday
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Town hill Dunfermline
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: HE said he owened the garden I checked my paperwork about the shared green

Thank you for your question. I am very sorry to hear about your circumstances as it must have been very upsetting for you and your wife.

My first comment is that, by making threats of violence against you personally which has left you feeling worried about his actions, he has committed an assault. An assault does not have to be actual physical violence and can just be the threat of it. I would suggest you report this matter to the police. Even if charges aren't brought against him the police will then have a record so that, if anything does happen in the future, there will be a mounting file of his unsavoury actions.

To comply with the right of way you may have to enable clear passage through to his property but I doubt that the wording of your title deeds goes into specific details about the positioning of any objects in the garden. I would be happy to review your title deeds if you would like further interpretation of them?

Helen Hill and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you