How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5127
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

This is my situation. When my grandad died, he left a will

This answer was rated:

Hello, this is my situation. When my grandad died, he left a will saying that I was to receive £10,000 when I turned 18 (if I went to uni) and 21 (if I didn’t). My aunt was left in charge of this decision and I am now 22 and have not received any of it. Her reasoning is that she is waiting until I have a good way to spend it and I am financially responsible enough to handle it. I have not seen any copy of the will and I do not know if she has the power to make that decision, but I fear if I ask to see the will she will get annoyed and withhold the money even more (if she does have the power to make the decision). I just want the method that will get me the money as soon as possible, can you give me some advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: no steps
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello I may assist.

From what you say, the terms of the will are clear and unambiguous.

from what you have said, you now have an automatic right to receive the legacy left to you in the will.

you need to contact the executor and formally request the legacy left to you. If they refuse, then ask to see a copy of the will to see what they are relying on to withhold your legacy. If they refuse you can easily obtain a court order compelling them.

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the procedure of getting a court order? Can I do it online?