Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I would like to ask about compensation for coronavirus. I

Hello! I would like to ask about compensation for coronavirus. I worked as a employer for 5 months for a company. When the quarantine started, I was denied compensation because I had a personal relationship with one of the staff. What can I do and who can I refer to for help?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, I have not!
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I I worked as employer. I had a zero contract ...
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Probably no..

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What compensation were you expecting? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
80% of my salary! As everyone was getting through the coronavirus ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it Charged me Already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40£
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I make a Refound of 40 £. I tabed it accidentally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Do not need your call

Ok I will reply on here this eve in writing instead and process a refund for the call

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!! ;)

Hi again, the first and most important thing to bear in mind is that furlough is not a given and there is never a ‘right to be furloughed’ It is simply an option open to employers to use as they see fit and the Government has entrusted them fully to decide as and when the scheme needs to be applied. Therefore, even if you meet all the criteria and tick every box to be eligible for furlough, the employer can still decide not to do so and you cannot challenge that decision (unless it was made on discriminatory grounds such as because of your gender, age, race, religion, etc).

If the employer refuses to furlough you then they are still obliged to honour their contractual obligations towards you. There are a couple of possible situations then:

· If you have guaranteed hours and no lay off clause in your contract, the employer would be expected to honour these and pay you as normal, even if there is no work for you

· If you do not have guaranteed hours of work, such as working on a zero hours contract, in between assignments, etc then the employer can simply rely on that arrangement and not give you any hours or work and therefore not pay you.

In summary, furlough is just an option to help employers with their wage expenses, to allow them to retain staff for this difficult period, rather than having to let them go as they cannot pay therm. However, it is not a given that the employer will rely on the scheme and ask for such help and if they choose not to, then they simply have to continue meeting their contractual obligations, which are dependent on what your contract says, as explained above.

Also they could have just dismissed you instead because you have no unfair dismissal protection in the first place, so altogether the employer has acted legally, even if unethically.

Let me know when you are happy to close the question so I can submit a refund request for the call

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy! Thanks a lot...!

All the best