How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19511
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I bought a motor boat in November 2019 We agreed with

This answer was rated:

Hi, i bought a motor boat in November 2019 We agreed with previous owner I can keep boat on his mooring till March 2020. I let know harbour office that I'm a new owner of the boat They wrote down my details . They said that mooring paid till April 2020 by previous owner. I asked if you can extend mooring after april 2020. They said there waiting list and I need join a list first.however they could keep it for me on trailer.In December 2019 previous owner asked me money for mooring I gave him 50 pounds. Then he asked money in January again . i refused .He started playing up saying harbour office required insurance for boat and he can provide it more cheap. I called harbour office directly they said the didn't need it. So technically My mooring was till 1 April. Covid-19 outbreak has happened .I didn't travel there to check my boat for while. I came to check it on 5 May 2020 It was looking all right out staying on trailer out of water. On 7 June 2020 i came to harbour to pick up my boat but could not find it. there were no one in harbour office as well . I called harbour office number and spoke with horbour master he said my bought sank in March they rescued it and put on trailer.I asked where was my boat.He said as they could not get hold of me on phone and mooring expired so he asked previous owner to remove it. I called previous owner he changed his mobile number and asked where was my boat he said he gave it to some guy.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What do you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i want to know if i can sue harbour and get compensation for my boat

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you