How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80438
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Wants info on slanderous comment post on facebook, Durham

This answer was rated:

wants info on slanderous comment post on facebook
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Durham UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: screen shots the post and seeking legal advice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Sat 6th June 2020 at 1830hrs a former colleague after series of argument on facebook made an allegation that i sexual harassed her about 7yrs ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this was in a group of over 7k Doctors and the alleged sexual harassment was said to have happen 7yrs ago in Nigeria..i want to know my legal options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting for a response pls.

Thanks for the information

I can see what you are furious about this.

This is very definitely defamation. Some people will tell you that what is said in court is protected and that is all very well but a complaint to the police is not legal proceedings.

The difficulty with defamation actions is that you have to prove that it was false as opposed to just an allegation that was disbelieved. That is hard to do as you will have the burden of proof. However, if you can do that it is worth pursuing.

You could also sue in harassment if there is more than one allegation/incident. I presume this isn’t the first act of vexatious on her part ? There is a fairly settled law now that making false or trivial allegations can be harassment. That does still cost but it is much cheaper.

Or you could get a solicitor to write to her warning him of the laws of harassment and defamation and making clear he should desist. That would only cost about £100 plus VAT.

Given the allegations though, I do think you are right; you need to do something.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
Just some clarification
1. Does the proof of her allegation rest on me or since i am suing for defamation i just need her facebook post as evidence.

1 The allegation is easy enough to prove because you have facebook. The issue is proving it was false.

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.