31090051

My partners has just passed away, we bought a dog together

Hi my partners has just passed away, we bought a dog together and I cannot find the receipt that I paid for him, I cannot access my old email address to find the emails to the breeder. Anyways I do have my bank statement to say I paid half for our dog and the initial insurance and his chip details have my name on it, does this make me the owner of our dog now he has passed away? I have allowed the dog to stay with his parents for comfort but they are trying to claim that he is theirs. When the initial insurance ran out we put the insurance in my partners name and the vets account was in his account? Where do I stand
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am from Dornoch Highlands Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing, I have looked out the information I gave to you and I have emailed Microsoft team to try and get access to my old email account. I currently walk the dog daily but the family are trying to make out that they have ownership
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is it

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Because you split the cost of the dog and you are also chip registered the dog passed to you on your partner’s death. The insurance and the vet are simply for convenience. You are entitled to keep the dog. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.