Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My dog was attacked and killed by another dog, what type of

My dog was attacked and killed by another dog, what type of lawyer would I need to seek compensation
JA: In what state did the injury take place? And do you have medical records or other documentation?
Customer: Scotland, and have all details, vet and police reports
JA: Has anything been filed? If so, what?
Customer: incident was reported to animal welfare and police
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also need advice on legal aid

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry, you are in Scotland. I'll opt out.

Hi thank you your message, this is not a common area but normally such attacks coincide with attacks on an individual or you getting injured when you try to intervene and therefore the most likely type of solicitors to deal with this are personal injury lawyers. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no personal injury

I understand but there is not a specific type of lawyer for dog on dog attacks. Such a matter would normally be dealt with under the simple procedure. Simple procedure is a court process designed to provide a speedy, inexpensive and informal way to resolve disputes. A claim is made in the sheriff court by a claimant. The party against whom the claim is made is known as a respondent. The final decision in a claim is made by a sheriff or a summary sheriff. You do not need to use a solicitor to use the simple procedure, but you can do if you wish. You can complete the claim form online here: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/civilonline

You should then print it and either post it or take it to the sheriff court that should deal with your claim. Part 3 here explains how to bring a claim: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/rules-and-practice/rules-of-court/sheriff-court/simple-procedure-rules/schedule-1/03-part-3.pdf?sfvrsn=6

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not very confident in such matters and would appreciate the help and advice of someone more experienced in such things, I am also aware that seeking the help off a solicitor can be somewhat expensive hence why I asked about the possibility of legal aid. Obviously I feel the owner off the dog should be responsible for the death off our dog and the subsequent costs but I am at a loss as to where and whom I should seek advice.
Hi thanks for your message, legal aid would not be available for this. If you need free help you can ask citizens advice. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience: Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney