INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have moved back to my home and I have a lodger living with

Hi I have moved back to my home and I have a lodger living with me for 4 years, I have to renewed his tenancy or anything, I have some the property and want him to leave now, he is refusing saying I have not exchanged contracts etc, I do not want any hassles.and want him gone asap to prevent any nuisance later. Can you assist with this and how would this work and how much will this cost?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have not renewed any contracts or agreements in years Since my divorce and moving back to the property, it has been amicable with my lodgers x2 until now where 1 lodger is now being difficult since selling
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's basically it, I want to evict my lodger legally to the point I can remove his goods and change my locks

Thank you for your query. Do you have an agreement with the lodger?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry some typos...
The lodger has now lived with me for a approx 4 years now since getting divorced and moved back to this house where only two of the tenants remained. I have not given or provided any new contracts m. As a live in landlord and since selling the house I now need to serve formal notice and have 2x lodger vacate.
Since telling one lodger that the I've sold my house, he has become difficult, I have asked him to start looking and find another place 3 months ago as we will be exchanging contracts soon, he is not listening and I want to know what I can do to remove ia things from 1 bedroom and change the locks?Kind regards

How often is the rent paid?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi monthly
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Into my bank account

If rent is paid monthly, in advance, 1 months notice would be sufficient. If rent was paid weekly, you would have been able to give notice based on weeks.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there can I have a formal letter written up giving lodgers notice to vacate please and what the cost for this would be?

You can try the following:

[Lodger full name]

[Address 1]
[Address 2]
[City/Town]
[County]
[Postcode]

Date: [Today’s date]

Reference: [Property address]

Dear [Lodger name],

You currently have an excluded lodger agreement with me because you share accommodation with me in my home.

It is with regret that I wish to terminate the lodger agreement.

I therefore hereby give you notice that I require you to vacate the room, premises, facilities you share with me and my home on or before [insert date with at least 28 days notice, ideally day before licence fee becomes due].

It is important that you are made aware that after the above date has passed, I do not need a court order to obtain possession because you will be an excluded lodger.

For further information, please see this Gov.UK page about lodgers: https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/your-lodgers-tenancy-type.

If you are unsure about the contents of this letter you are urged to seek independent legal advice.

Yours sincerely,

[Landlord signature]

[Landlord name]

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi all
Can I pay for a formal solicitors headed paper letter that can be posted to my lodgers?Regards
Anil

I should be able to do this.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.