Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was assaulted whilst out walking my dog in March, injured

Good evening
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I was assaulted whilst out walking my dog in March, injured in the face and my phone stolen and thrown in a river. The assault was completely unprovoked. I am now some 10 weeks later told the attacker has finally given a similar account and "explained that she was acting in self defence due to feeling threatened. She has provided police with photographic evidence of alleged injuries she has sustained during the incident which are of a similar level to those received by me allegedly. I sustained severe bruising and a black eye. . There were no independent witnesses to the actual physical confrontation and the police tell me it essentially one word against the other, and not proportionate to pursue further. The attacker is outright lying. I am left fearful of leaving my house and feel that the police have badly let me down not pursuing this immediately (due allegedly to coronavirus issue). This individual is going to get away with assaulting me for absolutely no reason. Where do I stand? I am affronted by the police handling of this and belief in the assailant rather than the victim.Essentially a counter allegation has been made alleging that you have injuried her, as well as the other way round. Given that the evidence to support that allegation is similar than the evidence to support your allegation (i.e. statement and photographs from each of you) if the investigation were taken further, it would likely be a case of affray, rather than assault of one person on another.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Not spoken to a lawyer. UK.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None except reporting to the Police on date of incident.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can immedaitely think of

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I would like to know what action I can take to get this taken forward on the basis of what actually happened in that I was assaulted by this individual rather than her lying to the police and it now becoming if taken forward a case of affray this is a massive injustice and this individual has got away with this due to the timelapse from the coronavirus issue which has prevented the police were interviewing her immediately.How can I take this forward So that the case is taken against her for the attack and to prove that she is lying

Ok - but you cant force the Police to do anything.

They have a 2 stage test.

They cant be satisfied they will get a successful prosecution.

Therefore it doesn't pay the threshold test.

You cant make the prosecute, you realise that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn’t know that. The assailant is guilty of attacking me. What action can I take.

You can sue the person.

But you can't make the Police prosecute.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the time of the incident I was asked if I wanted to prosecute and I did. This was in March. It has taken this long to take it forward and by now they have given her the opportunity to take legal advice and get her statement written with a pack of lies. My angst is that the police did not act as they should’ve done in the first place and they have used the coronavirus incident to prevent her coming for interview. If this had been dealt with at the time she would have been prosecuted for the offence of taking me. She has had two months to come up with a concocted story and a fake injuries. My injuries were seen by the police officer. They are only looking at photographs of her injuries apparently alleged but this cannot possibly be true as she was not touched by me I made absolutely sure of that so this is down to good make up. This is one evil young woman with and I quote her mother seriously ill teenager so she’s going to get away with it and then someone else is going to be a victim and who knows where that’s going to end up. It could be a lot worse next time

Sure, but as I have said, you can not make them prosecute.

You can ask them to review the decision but again if its negative you can't make them

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does, thank you. I have asked them to review the decision.