How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74413
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Iam owed a 100pound he wrote an iou signed by him and me can

This answer was rated:

Hi iam owed a 100pound he wrote an iou signed by him and me can i take him to small claims court
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in carlisle cumbria and on benifits i carnt even afford to pay bills abd feed my dogs i also suffer very bad depresson and gonig through breat cancer
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing tryed to ring him and his girl
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i just want my money bk

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

When was the money lent?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last week he payed me make me he has paid half the money on promised me that he would pay the other £100 today which he wrote out an IOU which is signed and I also signed I've tried to contact him and his girlfriend but they just keep cutting me off and I've got no response from until I suppose depression post-traumatic disorder I'm just getting through breast cancer am I excited levels are really really hi I live in Carlisle Cumbria

Thank you. It is indeed possible to consider making a claim if necessary. If a party wishes to pursue another for a debt arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.