How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NewExpertAS4920 Your Own Question
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 389
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
NewExpertAS4920 is online now

I divorced my ex husband last year and we have 2 children

This answer was rated:

I divorced my ex husband last year and we have 2 children that mainly lived with him as I work shifts so it made sense for them to live with him. Since February my youngest has moved in with me and my partner. During my divorce settlement there was A clause that said I would pay £200 per month towards child maintenance which I have upholded. As one of my children live with me now I think it’s unfair that I should be paying him this money. What are my rights? I pay for all school expenses including meals, uniform, trips. He pays nothing. He receives all child benefit,
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: the divorc
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: i received my decree absolute in October 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Hi! I am Anu, a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there maybe delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s fine
You can either come to a further agreement with your exhusband or you can make an application to the court to vary the settlement agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve tried talking to him but he won’t accept an agreement. Will my divorce solicitor ba able to take it back to court and would I have a case
They would indeed. You are within your rights to request an amendment since the circumstances and the arrangement has changed. If anything your exhusband may now be responsible to pay you child maintenance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I’ll contact my solicitor in the morning.
No problem at all. Please kindly accept my answer. Best wishes.
NewExpertAS4920 and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you