How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80478
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid to join a franchise opportunity. Sadly the

This answer was rated:

I paid to join a franchise opportunity. Sadly the opportunity never fully materialised because of lockdown so I feel I never got what I paid for. I asked for a refund and they refused. I signed a contract. Is there anything I can do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London Fulham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted them saying I dont think the opportunity has existed as sold to me and I would like a full refund. and they said no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats everything thanks i think

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to wait

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry for the delay.

Why do they say you are not liable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean for a refund? Because the contract says no refunds

Thank you.

The contract can say what it likes. If they cannot provide the service, they have to refund you.

Just write to them demanding a refund and if they don't comply you will sue at the small claims court.

If they do not then issue against them here

You will win.

Give them 14 days clearly in the warning and then just sue if they do not.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you! how should I go about asking for the refund and and saying I will sue. Is there a formal template I can use or anything?

Not really but it is really simple; I believe you are liable, please pay within 14 days. In default I will sue at the small claims court and claim costs and interest."

They won't pay but then you can sue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. Just curious, do you represent people and/or correspond on their behalf. If so, what would be the fee for this?

not within the context of this site but honestly you dont need to pay for a solicitor

This is a classic small claims court sum and matter. It is designed for lay people.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brill thanks

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80478
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you