Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

We want help about rent. In Covid 19 time our LANDLORD sent

Hi! We want help about rent. In Covid 19 time our LANDLORD sent out our staff from room whilst we was abroad the UK. She contact us in WhatsApp and informed that she doesn't want rent the house more for nobody because we need collect our staff. Now we come back and ask back at least our deposit because we need looking for other living place but she ignores us. Can we have some help against her for bring back money? We are shortly unemployed. Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in Canning Town area
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We just contacted her in WhatsApp nothing more. We have all conversation evidence and all payments proof too
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

I will get back to you with my answer shortly. The system will notify you via email when this happens.

Many Thanks.

Could you please confirm if the tenancy was Assured shorthold tenancy?

If the tenancy is still in its fixed term

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

Thank you for your reply.

Is it an assured shorthold tenancy or is it a Lodgers agreement

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can we continue in chat please?

Yes, not a problem,I can assist you via this online chat.

Could you please confirm what kind of tenancy is this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Agreement in words but not limited in time

Would it be possible to attach the agreement here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
LANDLORD didn't give agreement. It's mean in normal situation in any time we can stop tenancy from her side or from our side. But now is Covid time and we was abroad
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We was abroad and without us she sent our staff out. We paid three payments for rent from abroad+two weeks deposit. But anyway she sent us out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From abroad we kindly informed her that we are trapped and can't come back as we planned. Soon after that she sent us information that we need to out. All conversation we have in WhatsApp.

Were you sharing the house /other facilities in your rented premises with your Landlord?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Canning Town E16 1EN - 154a Barking road

Were you sharing the house with the Landlord?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
LANDLORD live in other house
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We shared with other tenants

Thank you for your reply. That means you were not a Lodger but a tenant.

I will be back with my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh yes tenants

If you have given security deposit to your Landlord , you can write back to the Landlord for its refund, if the Landlord is refusing the refund, you can contact the deposit scheme administrator, with which your deposit is saved , for its refund.

Your Landlord might have provided with the prescribed information ( details where your deposit is saved)

You can get the detail of your deposit scheme administrator and ask for the refund

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks

If that answers your question, May I politely remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today.

Please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time