How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19542
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have six foot bars on my window, and I have been asking

This answer was rated:

I have six foot bars on my window, and I have been asking the landlord to remove them for the past six years and they haven’t. What can I do about it?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in lewisham in london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t because I wasn’t sure what to do.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s all thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jamie.
I live in an old office building, that is above the shops, that was converted into shared housing. But they never took the bars off the window, I live on the second floor of the house so if there is a fire I’d be trapped. The council even told the landlord they had to remove them three years ago. I can send you a picture if you like.

Ok - has the Landlord simply refused or not responded?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say that they’ll do it but never do.

Ok - then you can either get it done or sue for it to be removed.

Get a quote for it to be done, this forms your loss

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request they do the work or a refund of the cost within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much this helps a lot.

Pleasure. Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was everything I needed help with. Again thank you.

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don’t worry I’ll be giving you 5 stars for your help, you are truly amazing.