How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

How do I go about changing my child last name & getting

This answer was rated:

How do I go about changing my child last name & getting supervise contact with my daughter & her dad he been arrested for looking at children images
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no I only fond out yesterday & not sure what my legal right over this as my daughter have regular weekend contact overnight every 2 wks I want it to stop & be supervise at a contact centre I don’t trust him I am always waiting to hear from the social services about this
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: havering
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is this gonnna cost me I am on benefits I want to protect my daughter

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so answers please what do I do can I do this

Could you please confirm if arrangement orders are in place regarding your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I only found out yesterday so I don’t know what sort of arrangement to do I know I want to change my daughter last name as it her dad name not mine & I want to find out about supervise contact at a contact centre not at his house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly what do u mean the one already in place by court order when she was 8 months old or the one that need sorting now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since this shocking info came to light yesterday apparently I’ve got to see social service yet that not happen

Yes, the contact order already in place would need to be changed to supervised contact and you have to apply for deed poll to get your daughter named changed.

I will get back to you shortly on how to proceed with both these issues.

The system will notify you via email when this happens.

Many Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Danny that my daughter dad is expecting to be talking about this to her today after seeing social service but I have not had not no contact from them over Danny arrest from looking at child pornographers if it spelt right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have to get permission to change my daughter last name from her dad can I not do that myself I don’t think it right she had her dad last name because of what he done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is this gonna cost me to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to inform the school

Thank you for your reply. I will be with you shortly.

For deed poll, for changing the name of a child, who is under 16yrs of age, the consent of everyone with parental responsibility would be required. That means you would need the consent of her father as well.

The process cost costs £36 for changing the name via unrolled deed poll

Yes, you would have to inform the school about the name change once the deed poll is registered.

Regarding changing the contact to supervised contact, unless it can be agreed with mutual agreement between you and the father of your daughter, you would need a court order.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today,

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you