F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have issues with my car insurance Company they voided my

I have issues with my car insurance Company they voided my policy and now threatens to recover from me the third party repair cost based on me breaching the policy.....
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: they think I was using the car for delivering merchandise in Uk London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I asked for the recording of the telephone conversation and complaint to the complaining manager of the company
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they also sent a fixed sum Loan agreement Saying it’s been agreed after contacting us but they never did and never agreed

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’m happy to wait but I would appreciate if I can get a definite answer rather sooner as I’m sure you understand the urgency of the matter....

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

were you using it for business purposes?

who is the insurer?

and did you have an accident?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you assistancesThe insurer is Admiral and yes I blacked out behind the wheel and crashed into a car parked on the side of the roadI’m a personal trainer and due to the covid 19 lockdown restrictions as the studio I normally work from was closed I was going to train a client outside their flat on the communal garden but I was also bringing them a sample of protein shake because as part of my program I use Herbalife nutrition plans too....Now because I was delivering the sample products and I mentioned it to the insurance company they have voided my policy saying I was using the car as a delivery service .
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did use the words delivering products

I can’t give you a definitive answer I’m afraid because I don’t actually know why they cancelled the policy or what they are alleging the breach is.

I need the full background detail please including the name of the insurance company because some are less wholesome than others!

You need to remember that whether they can do this or they can’t do this, they have done so even have I say that they can’t do this, because they have done, the most important thing is what you do about it, not the answer is to whether they can or not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are all the details in a sequence of emails I received from them
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Than
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Third email
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4th
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4th part 2
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to know if I have a winning chance against them as they are now saying they will look to recover the third party repair costs from me.....

I don’t know whether you have business use on this policy or not but it does specifically say that use for merchandise delivery is excluded, and you have said that you were delivering goods to clients.

Straightly speaking therefore, you are not insured for what you are doing.

I can tell you now that insurance companies think they are quite cute here because they will try to trap people into saying things such as you have done.

They will ask what you are doing in the hope that you are honest and then they look at the terms of the policy to see whether it’s excluded and use that as an excuse not to pay.

You need to write to the insurance company (don’t try to deal with it on the telephone) and tell them, as you have done, that you do not do this all the time, it is not a regular occurrence, you do not deliver goods to customers and you only had to do it for whatever reason as a one-off. Therefore unless they agree to indemnify (payout) you will make a complaint in writing to the Financial Ombudsman service for the Ombudsman to determine the matter.

The Ombudsman will then decide whether the insurance company has been reasonable firstly in not paying out and secondly in respect of cancelling the policy. I don’t know what general condition 4 says.

That really is your only option.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for assistance ��