SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Can the paid director of a charitable foundation also have a

Can the paid director of a charitable foundation also have a voting right as a trustee of the foundation?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none the organisationis registered as a limited company
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in London UK

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. If the charity is incorporated you are at law a trustee. If a registered trustee then yes you are entitled to vote. I would hope that you have set terms of reference outlining what powers the board have delegated to them - and what restrictions that entails. Usually, committees are empowered to make minor decisions but major decisions should always be ratified by those trustees who are registered i.e. the board. Whether you are paid or not for your role is a matter of your contract of employment with the charity but this should not affect your right to vote if you are a registered trustee. Please check your constitution it may have limited this ability. The Charities Commission is also handy as they will give you free advice. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your convenience. All the best