LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I received a letter of my loan company saying I had paid my

I received a letter of my loan company saying I had paid my loan off in full. Even though I have quite a long term left to run how does the letter hold up in Law.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Liverpool
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted the Loan company to thank them for saying my loan was paid off it was a total suprise to me even though I have 59 months left to complete the Loan.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Simple question does the letter hold up in law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (4MSV2T7)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a copy of the Letter is received about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still awaiting an answer

Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users.

You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.

This is very unusual but you seem to be very lucky indeed!

They could argue an administration error resulted in this letter being sent. Of course, their records and yours will show that in fact the loan still remains outstanding and that it shall continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have no basis in Law to push this issue any further.
Have you been able to have a look at the Letter I attached.

Yes I have seen the letter attached and you may wish to do nothing. However, should they realise their mistake, it is likely they will claim it was simply an admin error and that the loan is to continue.

You can of course argue that your letter states that the loan is paid off however their records will show everything.

Will that be all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in contact the AA call centre representative went very quite when I queried this with them.
could it be possible to push them further on this to see if they would uphold there mistake or am i just clutching at straws so to speak.
Has there ever been a case in law were it would be upheld in my favour that the loan is totally written off as the letter is signed by Simon Montgomery (customer service rep for the AA) he does say I have paid it off.

I can imagine. It does seem that you are clutching at straws as like I said they could come back stating that the letter had been issued in error. Most of the time, the signatures are electronic so you may wish to query this with them. Alternatively, you can just stay quiet.

I wouldn't be too surprised if you hear from them informing you that the letter sent to you was a mistake. In summary, it wouldn't really hold up if they were to argue an admin error.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have made contact over this issue they did say admin error but they were very quiet when I raised the issue with them.
My Next Question would be referring back to your earlier comment,
I seem to be very lucky indeed ?
If I am unable to push this then the Loan would still have to carry on.
So I can not be very lucky has there been any case in law of a client pursuing this and coming away with a Successful outcome?

That was just a light passing comment.

Not to my knowledge.

Yes the loan would continue as usual.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Worries you help clear up my thoughts it would have been nice to be able to write the loan off through there incompetence.
I forgot to say the lady at the AA did ask what did I would want to help resolve this issue from my end.
any Suggestions would be helpful if you could think of any from a legal point of view to help in my response to them ��.

No problem. You may simply wish to not say anything and wait for them to figure it out. That being said, if you were making monthly payments, it may affect other things such as your credit as the next payment that would have been due may flag up on their system despite the letter.

Your credit is recorded with third party agencies so having this corrected after is a lengthy and exhausting process. All that for trying to uphold a letter which they will argue was a mistake may not seem entirely worth it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Problem too I will chat with them about the next step in clearing this up.
Thanks for your help.

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for helping you. It’s important to leave a rating as this is how Experts are credited.

All the best.