JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have a question about the validity of a contract, London,

I have a question about the validity of a contract
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing. A contract was signed in July 2017 for the supply of .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I;m sorry I'll have to come back a little later

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

If you can please summarise the question for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed a contract in July 2017 for Health & Safety management and advice. It is supposed to run for 3 years with automatic renewal for a further 3 years if not cancelled in writing before 6 months of the end of the contract. I did not notice that requirement and didn't cancel. I now realise that it;s too late. My question about validity is 1) The contract only states the name of the company but not the Ltd. 2) I signed on behalf of the company, but do not hold a position in the company other than being a 25% shareholder. 3) The contract states my position as being CEO, this is incorrect. 4) The contract has a space where the Company number is ***** be inserted, as well as the VAT number. they have both been left blank. Therefore, can we walk away from this contract. Regards, Leopold.

Thanks, ***** ***** like you clicked the call request button - apologies I can’t take a call at the moment but other experts are free to contact you. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it - an "authorisation" has been made for payment, that's all. However, the call request is open to all experts - if you want to cancel the call then please go to this link: https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

I can continue with the question online if that suits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok cancel the call request and we'll continue online

Thanks, ***** ***** are fatal flaws in that contract from your description :

1. a contract must be made with the limited company, or it's trading name. If not, you can argue the parties are incorrectly named - an essential term is the party is correctly identified;

2. you have no locus to sign as you are just a shareholder - only a director of a limited company can sign, not a shareholder;

3. Ditto - you are not CEO, so another incorrect term in the contract; and

4. this is not fatal for a contract to be valid but the above would be enough to mean the contract is fatally flawed in its execution and should be amended (if you agreed) or terminated.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Before I click the 5 stars, which I will do, 1) Is it relevant that the Company has been paying the monthly fee since July 2017 ? 2) Please advise, what action, if any, do we do to walk away from this.

The monthly payments can point towards an acquiescence of the faults in the contract - so the next step would be to write to terminate it, and flag up that if they sue in the courts, the claim is likely to fail due to incorrect party names inter alia other faults with the contract - I do not know if you want the payments back but if you do, you can issue a claim at http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk after sending them a letter before action giving them 30 days to reimburse you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you very much for your help. Is it ok to come back to you if I have any further questions ?

Yes, no problem - I am around this evening if you have any other queries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim. Just another clarification. You say in clause 4 that the contract is not fatal, but it is fatally flawed. what's the difference ?

Hi, when I mentioned paragraph 4, this was in response to your question of whether a lack of company number/VAT number causes a problem - I said it was not fatal to the contract (unlike points 1-3)