12826847

I had to hand over my taxi licence after a mini stroke can I

I had to hand over my taxi licence after a mini stroke can I get the Fees back for the rest of the unused year
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have ask for a refund but they say its not policy
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will I get an answer?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

You mean for the cost of your taxi licence?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for me and my car about £550
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was promised my question would be answered - not that I wou
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would get a bill!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I feel as those I’ve been scammed

Where did the car come from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My car- I paid license fees for me and that car

Ok, to whom?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tandridge council
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We only halfway though the year but they want to keep all the license fee
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can’t afford the phone call
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Surly I should get a refund for unused part of the year
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tandridge Council response: We have looked into your request for refund with regards ***** ***** licence. The licence fees were set by Tandridge District Council on an aggregate cost recovery basis, and with no allowance for ‘pro rata’ payments. On this basis we are not able to refund any portion of the application fee you have already paid.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I paid for the entire year for me and my car
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I entitled to a refund - Yes Or No

It doesn’t matter whether they can do this and they are allowed to do it or not, the fact remains that they are doing.
You really therefore only have two options. The first one is to take them to the Small Claims Court having duly warned them if that if they don’t refund you a proportional amount, you will take them to the Small Claims Court. In my opinion, not enough people challenge the council in the Small Claims Court because people seem to be of the opinion that in that respect, the local authority are untouchable. Not so. The process will not be quick however and it could easily take 12 months if the council decide to defend it. You need to remember they have unlimited money (of yours!) From all the council tax payers to defend the action and they have in-house lawyers so they will spend far more money on defending the action (on principle!) Than they would have to pay you.

The other alternative is to make a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. It’s not particularly quick but it’s free and without risk.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No - little man loses again! Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/