How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 80440
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had to hand over my taxi licence after a mini stroke can I

This answer was rated:

I had to hand over my taxi licence after a mini stroke can I get the Fees back for the rest of the unused year
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have ask for a refund but they say its not policy
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get an answer?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

You mean for the cost of your taxi licence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for me and my car about £550
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was promised my question would be answered - not that I wou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would get a bill!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel as those I’ve been scammed

Where did the car come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car- I paid license fees for me and that car

Ok, to whom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tandridge council
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We only halfway though the year but they want to keep all the license fee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can’t afford the phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surly I should get a refund for unused part of the year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tandridge Council response: We have looked into your request for refund with regards ***** ***** licence. The licence fees were set by Tandridge District Council on an aggregate cost recovery basis, and with no allowance for ‘pro rata’ payments. On this basis we are not able to refund any portion of the application fee you have already paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid for the entire year for me and my car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I entitled to a refund - Yes Or No

Thank you.

It doesn’t matter whether they can do this and they are allowed to do it or not, the fact remains that they are doing.
You really therefore only have two options. The first one is to take them to the Small Claims Court having duly warned them if that if they don’t refund you a proportional amount, you will take them to the Small Claims Court. In my opinion, not enough people challenge the council in the Small Claims Court because people seem to be of the opinion that in that respect, the local authority are untouchable. Not so. The process will not be quick however and it could easily take 12 months if the council decide to defend it. You need to remember they have unlimited money (of yours!) From all the council tax payers to defend the action and they have in-house lawyers so they will spend far more money on defending the action (on principle!) Than they would have to pay you.

The other alternative is to make a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. It’s not particularly quick but it’s free and without risk.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - little man loses again! Thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

No problem.

All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you