SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

I want to buy a house in London that will cost £650,000. My

I want to buy a house in London that will cost £650,000.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My daughter wants to buy a house in London N15 that will cost £650k .They are first time buyers coming from a rented apartment. Her husband owns a buy to let together with his two brothers that cost £250k. QUESTION . Will they have to pay the higher stamp duty rate on their new house ??? THANK YOU
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing other than to ask me.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing at this point

Hi there,

The general rule is that where there is an additional property, you will need to pay SDLT at the higher rate unless you can prove the new property is your principal primary dwelling. In this case, the property will be your daughter's and her husband's principal primary dwelling so you will be paying the lower rate which will be £22,500.

If they paid the higher rate, this will be £42,000.

I hope this helps and please leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if my daughter and her husband can declare/demonstrate /prove that the house that they want to buy is their only PPR they will only need to pay £22.5k rather than £42k ?? Thank you

Hi there,

Correct, if they can prove this will be their PPR then they will pay the lower rate at £22,500.

I hope this helps and please do let me know if I can assist with anything else.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU !!!

No problem,

Please do accept and rate my answer when you get a moment.

Kind regards,