How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

My wife and i are going to seperate with her becoming the

This answer was rated:

my wife and i are going to seperate with her becoming the main gardian for our 3 children. we will have to sell the house and split the equity could you tell me how the equity is split
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Torfaen
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi there,

Generally, this process is quite simple. Once the sale takes place, the solicitor will clear of any charges, loans or arrears on the property and when the balance is cleared, they can either send the money into either yours or your wives account for you to split yourselves, or provided you send both sets of bank statements (yours and your wives), they can send a designated amount into each account.

it is also worth noting to see if the Transfer document listed the shareholding as a specific %, so for example, if it stated you owning 40% and your wife 60%, then you will only receive 40% of that amount as it will be a declaration of trust.

I hope this helps and please do leave positive feedback. If you have any further questions, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The split is equal so is that 50% each

Hi there,

Yes most certainly, in that case the split will be 50% each.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks

No problem,

Please do accept and rate my answer when you get a moment.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you