How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 36775
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I am seeking legal advice in regards to contact with my son.

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am seeking legal advice in regards ***** ***** with my son.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Preston, United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None currently, I want to know what the best steps are and my rights.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

What is your question>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’d like to know what I can do to solve a very long issue I’ve been having in regards ***** ***** with my son. Me and his mother split 1 year after our son was born, we agreed that she’d never stop access. However over the last 6 years, it’s been a nightmare. Every time I started a new relationship, and I knew it was getting serious, I’d let his mother know in terms of introducing him to my new partner later in the future. I might add that she instructed me to do this so that I wasn’t introducing to people she wasn’t aware about. However, shortly after his mother starts restricting access, and telling me I shouldn’t be in a relationship, begging me to get back together, which resulted in me saying no and then I’m either to end my current relationship because of the stress of not seeing my son, and just made me an unhappy person. I’d then later on, find someone new and then it’s rinse and repeat. My average relationship in the last 6 years were 3 months, not because we were wrong for each other, quite he opposite, they couldn’t stand me being manipulated by her. Until last year, I’ve now been with my partner for a year, stead relationship, home and income. I’ve seen my son on and off during that time, however she has said that I’m not allowed to let max see my partner, I can only take him to football or swimming, when it’s convenient for her. But she’s flat out refusing to let me see him unless I can guarantee that he won’t see my partner, and even still she doesn’t believe what I say. I’ve no criminal record, I graft every day, I look after my son when I have him, in fact I’m his idol! I just want to move on in my life and get split custody of my son.

Have you been to court with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. Firstly it is not for her to make any conditions about your contact. You both have parental responsibility - which means equal rights. You might need to make an urgent application to the court for a child arrangements order on a form C100. You would also want to apply to sort out the time the children spend with each of you. This will allow there to be a strict court order which she must comply with. I have to help you attached a link to a great book which explains the process -

Happy to discuss and please rate 5 star

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** be forced into mediation? I am just looking at the form now.

You should attemot mediation - a MIAM - but if its clearly not going to work the mediator can sign it off and you can get straight to court. Please rate 5 stars

ivorylounge and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so hold off on the C100 and start mediation? Do you think this could be circumvented because of Covid-19?

Yes. Phone mediator and explain.