How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74475
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My company has not reimbursed me for the travel in October

This answer was rated:

Hi! My company has not reimbursed me for the travel in October and November last year.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Since I raised the issue after I identified the underpayment, they have promised they will correct but never did. I'm in London, the employer base is in Bornemouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have raised the issue with payroll in Deceber, they promised it will all be corrected in the next payroll run. It wasn't, the underpayment only increased following fruther errors in calculation. I recently contacted Operation Manager in regards ***** ***** issue. He said he can not help not having the original copies of the receipts. I said the originals were sent to the manager of each development I worked. The manager then authorizezes the exepsnes and send it to payroll so realistically the documents should now be with managers and then copies with payroll. this should be easily accessed by the Operational Manager but it seems he chose not to bother
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all what I need to raise right now

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How much are you owed in total? and are you still employed by this company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 300£ plus compensation for stressed caused, if applicable. I'm still employed by the company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather have a reply by chat as I am tight on budget right now

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. The employer’s failure to reimburse you for any expenses which you have the right to get will amount to a breach of contract. The only option for you to legally pursue them would be to make a claim in the Small Claims Court if needed. Before you do so you are strongly advised to raise a formal grievance with the employer to allow them the chance to resolve this internally. However, I that does not help, you have the option of seeking a claim for compensation for the amount owed.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your comprehensive response. It's been very helpful and I hope I will resolve this issue successfully with my employer following your advice.
I will rate you as "excellent"!

Many thanks and all the best