Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
107933507

We purchased our freehold property last November for

We purchased our freehold property last November for £925.000 and paid £36,250 Stamp Duty. We have recently been approached by a number of companies advising that we paid £10,000 to much, and offering to act on our behalf to obtain a refund, less their fee. Could you please advise if this could be a ligitimate claim.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not yet.
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: Bedfordshire. Post code SG16 6AB
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have a small one story storage building in the garden. Otherwise no.

Good afternoon, were you first time buyers or was this a purchase of a second property?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not first time buyers, but it is our only property which we live in.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I believe this a fairly simple question, I am happy to receive your advice on line.

In which case you have not overpaid. You can use the government website to double check your stamp duty liability https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculate-stamp-duty-land-tax/#/holding which confirms that the amount of £36,250 would be payable under your circumstances. I would not trust any third party companies advising different. Hope this helps?