How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1848
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

We had some building work done, installation of kitchen and

This answer was rated:

We had some building work done, installation of kitchen and prepping the room beforehand. There were a lot of delays in getting started and when they did finally start end April/early May, although they said it would take about three weeks, by December it still wasn't finished and then they just didn't come back. They still had monies for a window which they said they lost and for which they never reimbursed us. The cost during all this time spiralled out of control and in the end we paid over £7,000 to have have old kitchen taken out, room prepped and new kitchen in. It was fraught with errors and the builder kept getting sick, he said, his child was sick, and people didn't turn up. We were nearly three weeks without any water or facilities. My husband is 79 and has heart failure. I became very stressed by the whole thing. I feel we paid too much for the work involed. Ikea's quote for installation was £1700. Thie 7k we paid did not include the kitchen or any of the materials, as we paid separately. Where do I stand please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Folkestone in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have put a file together with all the emails, invoices, monies paid, kitchen plan etc.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They stopped coming in last December by which time Christmas was on us, I was unwell and then we got Covid-19.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

I thank you for your patience.

I do understand how frustrating situations such as these can be particularly when renovation cost is spiraling and there seems to be no end in sight. You are however protected by the Consumer Rights Act which provides that consumers who enter into a contract for goods and services can expect these to be supplied with reasonable care and skill. This covers builders. Your builder’s requirement to ensure work is completed within the ambit of the law would have not have stopped simply because of the pandemic.

in the circumstance therefore, you may able to recover damages against the builder which would include the cost of completing the renovation and/or being able to recover monies already spent.

That being said, what practically Should you do?

  • you should check firstly whether your home insurance has legal expense cover. If it does, you may find that your insurers may be able to cover any potential expense for bringing a claim against this person.
  • If the above does not apply, the law requires that you first right write a letter to the builder. This letter should be headed letter before action. This is a prerequisite to bringing legal action. In your letter you should clearly set out that you are unhappy with the services provided so far and as such you wish to recover the amount already spent (be specific as to the cost) and/or you may opt to ask for them to cover the cover the cost for having the renovation completed at their expense. The letter should specifically give a time frame for the, to respond. I recommend 14 days.
  • If the builder does not respond within the stipulated time or the response does not resolve your concern you may have to commence a claim.
  • to commence the claim you may do so in the small claims court. You would complete the requisite court form and file in your local county court in triplicate along with the required court fees ( if successful in your claim, you may ask the court to order that builder reimburses you for an cost incurred by you in bringing the claim).
  • here is a copy of the claim form you would be required to complete:

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best


ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1848
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much for this advice. Kind regards.