How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4642
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I would like to speak to a family orientated solicitor

This answer was rated:

Hi I would like to speak to a family orientated solicitor please
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I'm in Hampshire My son is in South wales
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am divorced from the mother, she has recently started claiming emotional abuse since I have started to involve solicitors for setting visitation

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

How far are you into proceedings? Have you made your application to court yet?

Please read the following:

  1. This is an email service, not live chat, so responses are not always instantaneous.
  2. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  3. I will ask questions on what I need from you, please answer each question clearly and briefly.
  4. If you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that. As per no.2 above, I will not be calling you.
  5. If you do want a call, let me know so that I can opt out of your question and another expert can assist you.
  6. Please refer all questions regarding finance and costs of the site to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lea, nothing has been done yet, I am currently looking into the next steps, costs and what my options are

Have you tried mediation at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All arrangements to date have been decided privately

The first thing you have to do is attend a MIAM - mediation information assessment meeting. The mediator will explain what mediation is, assess whether it can assist you and will contact the mother to see if she will engage. If she does, mediation sessions can be set up. If mediation doesn't work, or the mother refuses to engage, the mediator will sign your C100 form (this is a requirement unless you meet one of the exemptions to attending a MIAM - see the form for more details).

Once the mediator has signed, you can complete the C100 form and send it to the family court local to where your child lives. The court will list the matter for a hearing and ask CAFCASS, social workers, to do safeguarding checks, which involves speaking to you and the mother and doing background checks with social services and police. CAFCASS will write a safeguarding letter to the court recommending what to do next.

A hearing will be set at which both you and the mother will have the opportunity to put your views across - the court will decide what to do next in the best interests of the child. There may be further hearings depending on what information the court wants.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I set up mediation please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does this need to be done though a solicitor

YOu can find a mediator here:

No, you do not have to use a solicitor at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a final question regarding visitation schedule

Please do ask...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am nervous about getting a visitation schedule that I can't meet. This is why I have tried to avoid formalising to this point.How common is it for the following: to have the child for 1-2 weeks per school holiday, plus inset day weekends and 2 other weekends per yearI live 4 hours round trip from my son and I work shift work, so would like to have him on school holidays to maximise his time here. This is what has generally happended up to this point, just with a lot of abuse, blackmail and games to go through
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hence the reason I want to set in stone via lawful agreement

The court will try to accommodate your working pattern - so long as it is static and not prone to change so frequently as to make it difficult for the mother to plan anything else.

The court's paramount consideration is the child's best interests, so the court would rather see you have the child in a pattern that you can manage than try to impose a more usual pattern (alternate weekends) on you if it means that visits will be missed.

School holidays will typically be shared 50/50 as the child has the right to spend leisure time with both parents. So a 'usual pattern' (bear in mind these things are always individual to the children, so the term 'usual' is being used liberally here) - would be half terms would be alternated (or split in half, 2.5 days each - alternate is better), Easter/Christmas holidays 1 week each (special days alternated) and summer holidays 3 weeks each, often in a pattern of 2 weeks each then 1 week each.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great information thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this chat feed be saved on my account please?

As far as I am aware all your questions can be accessed from your account.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating - much appreciated.