LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

Selling my house and the solicitor I was using at the time

Selling my house and the solicitor I was using at the time gave my financial info to my estate agent ie Mortgage balance a debt I owe with amexetc.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I complained to them but have been ignored,my question is it legal /
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Brighton sx
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users.

You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.

How may I help you with your query today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it legal for a solicitor to pass on finanicial details to my estate agent,when in the process of selling my house,this included amount owed on mortgage and a second charge debt to amex ? I was shocked when the agent asked me if there was sufficent equity in my £1.3m home

The solicitor should not have provided such details to the agents without your prior consent. This is considered a serious breach of confidentiality.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
who do I complain to ? I have twice conplained to the solicitors but they have ignored me

You should raise your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. Below is a link to their website:

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/

If there has been a breach of the Principles solicitors are required to abide by (https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/who-we-are/sra-regulate/#principles), you can report this to the Solicitors Regulatory Authority at the link below to be investigated:

https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor/

Does that clarify your potential next steps?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you for your help.

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for helping you. It’s important to leave a rating as this is how Experts are credited.

All the best.