How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5184
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My daughter has signed up to a working holiday company and

This answer was rated:

Hi my daughter has signed up to a working holiday company and has paid a £1 deposit, she is 17 and she hasn't read the small print, basically in order for her to cancel they will charge her £29.00. Can a person of 17 enter into this type of agreement? Especially if she doesn't fully understand what it is thats involved. The 'job opportunity' (which is actually reading between the line budget accomodation - to which she needs to go and find her own work) She signed up for it online they have her card details and have already tried to take additional money.
JA: Has your daughter talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your daughter live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: No, we are in the UK i have tried to speak to consumer helpline but i feel im not getting the right advice
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: She is going to approach the company to ask for them to cancel however i think they are (judging by reviews) going to be very quick to take the 'admin' charge.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so

Hello I will assist

first of all when did your daughter do this.

second how did she pay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday and by debit card

Ok thank you, ***** ***** me a minute.

First of all, Individuals who are under the age of 18 are known as ‘minors’ under the Family Reform Act 1969. A minor can enter into a contract at law, however, such a contract is ‘voidable’ by the minor before they reach 18 (and for a time thereafter).

Also under the law,

Online, mail and phone order sales

Online, mail and telephone order customers have the right to cancel their order for a limited time even if the goods aren’t faulty. Sales of this kind are known as ‘distance selling’.

You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They don’t have to provide a reason.

If the company refuse to back off, or take money, etc, you can claim against them
Any money paid so far by your daughter, she should be able to reclaim. The company should refund. If they don’t, then contact your debit card provider. And seek a money back claim on the debit card.

If you have further problems come back to me. Here to assist.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you