Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I have applied for British nationalisation but I had Debts

Hi I have applied for British nationalisation but I had Debts and 2 CCJ’s on my credit file I am using debts management plan to pay the debts.home office asked how you built up debts and because I lost my job for few months so I was not financially stable to pay them off .does they refuse my application of that.i am paying off debts monthly through debt management plan.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i am waiting for there decision
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I have applied for British nationalisation but I had Debts and 2 CCJ’s on my credit file I am using debts management plan to pay the debts.home office asked how you built up debts and because I lost my job for few months so I was not financially stable to pay them off .does they refuse myapplication of that.i am paying off debts monthly through debt management plan.

For getting Citizenship ,you may need to show you or someone here in the UK can financially provide for you, have a job, or job offer, but the applications are not specifically looking at debts or money owed.

If your debt or the money you owe stems from a crime, such as fraud, money laundering, a court fine, or has a CCJ filed against you and has been through the courts, this can be another matter.

Criminal offences are reasons where a Visa and/or Citizenship may be denied.

So in addressing the questions regarding getting a Visa and extending it and having debts, in the majority of instances it is not going to be an issue

However it can be problem in getting Citizenship There is the requirement of the “good character ” for obtaining Citizenship here in the UK.

One of the requirements outlined in this part of the naturalisation process is of “financial soundness“.

There is a section that relates to and addresses debt, Section 6.2 states:

“The decision maker will not normally refuse an application simply because the person is in debt, especially if loan repayments have been made as agreed or if acceptable efforts are being made to pay off accumulated debts.

However, where a person deliberately and recklessly builds up debts and there is no evidence of a serious intention to pay them off, the decision maker will normally refuse the application”

If possible delay your application, till the debt is repaid, as it can affect your Naturalisation application.

Settled debt or paid debt will show that you had debt but you have repaid it off

Normally it would not be a straight No, if there is a debt on file or CCJ

The repayment plan will show your intention to clear your financial obligations.

The repayment plan would work in your favour here.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am paying monthly through Debt management plan.in case if they refuse application and I Clear the debts could I apply again the application.i have sent them proof I lost job for 6 months so I was not financially stable so now I m better position that’s y I use debts management plan to clear my debts.

Yes, you can again apply for the Naturalisation in future , if it gets rejected now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They won’t ban you for 10 years if they refuse the application

If you use fraudulent means or documents, then you get banned for 10 yrs

Again as I said above It would be a straight no, and would depend on the caseworker as well.

Because the repayment plan is showing your intention to clear your financial obligations.

You have very good chances of getting approved this time around as well.

If that answers your question, May I politely remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help you are really kind

Thank you and all the very best.