How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I have had some property stolen from me by an ex partner. I

This answer was rated:

I have had some property stolen from me by an ex partner.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Stafford UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have sent her various messages, I have been to see her, she has admitted she does not have it anymore.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi there,

This will amount to theft under the Theft Act 1968 and you will need to notify the police as soon as possible. If she has admitted to taking the goods but no longer having it then this will also give rise to a handling of stolen goods claim.

This can be an imprisonable offence dependant on the scenario and the value of the goods (along with your ex partners history - ie good behaviour etc).

I hope this helps and do accept my answer when you get a moment. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

No problem, always happy to help.

Please do accept and rate my answer when you get a moment.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you