james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I was travelling in the Philippines at the beginning of

Hi, I was travelling in the Philippines at the beginning of February and my return flight home were cancelled due to Coronavirus. I contacted my travel insurance company who advised to book a flight home and to raise a claim upon return. Once I gathered all necessary materials I raised a claim but have since been informed that my policy does not cover me for cancellation due to Coronavirus. I raised a query that how could it cover Coronavirus as when I arranged the policy Coronavirus did not even exist let alone the WHO declare an emergency. Is it a legitimate rejection? Or are there grounds for me to challenge back? Thanks

How did you pay for flight

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both flights were via American Express Credit Card

As you actually used a credit card, and to save you going round in circles with travel and airlines,

you quickest course of action would be to seek a full refund via your credit card. As long as the cost was more than £100, you can make a complete full refund request from the credit card company using Section 75 of the consumer credit act 1974. This holds the credit card jointly and severally liability for the beach of service and liable to full refund.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the advice, as part of the insurance claim we had to contact the airline to obtain a refund for the leg of the flight that was cancelled, does this impact claiming for a full refund via the credit card?

That should make no difference. You were unable to complete your original booking paid for with your credit card. So the claim should still apply against the credit card company.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.