F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have been a victim of an online fraud recently can you

i have been a victim of an online fraud recently can you assist in recovering my money?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am based in london
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: i have only reported it to my bank
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

can you give me all the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i paid an initial amount of £500 by debit card to sharefounders.com for this online trading platform. i was then assigned a personal broker who calls me every day to carry out trades on the platform from my computer remotely using anydesk.. after about 2 weeks he asked that in order to make better profits i need to invest more. seeing the profit made i made i was convinced but asked to withdraw part of the profit. this went through ok. ihe then transfered £2000 from my online banking account to a KRAKEN account he created on my computer and then transfered it from this account to the sharefounders account. he carried on calling daily to carry out further trades, after another 3 weeks he started putting pressure on me to invest £20,000 in order to make a profit of £7,00 every month. i did not have that money but he kept putting pressure to even borrow if i could but that was not possible. unfortunately i suffered a bereavement in my family and needed money so i made a request to withdraw funds this was blocked several times, i then became suspicious and did some further research and realized it could be a scam i then requested to withdraw all my investment and profit but it has been refused constantly to date. i have heard nothing despite my numerous call and emails until yesterday out of the blue i had a call from someone claiming to be my new account manager. i complained about my experience and she said i had to do 5.... (i cant remember the technical term she used) before i can close my account and withdraw my funds. i refused and she said i can withdraw $254 only at this time, so i put in a request for this amount that has been approved and is in the process of being sent to my account. at this stage i thought getting anything out of them is better than nothing. she asked that i give her access to my account on the platform to show me what she meant by the 5..... but i have said i will wait till i recieve the funds before i do that. but due to my experience i will not give remote access to my computer any longer. how do i retrieve the rest of my funds, currently just over $5,000?

How much have you invested in total?

This is not binary options or bitcoin or forex by any chance is it?

I get dozens of questions about potential scams and 99% of them are about Bitcoin, Forex and Binary options.

The common scam is that you put a little bit of money in and you get a good return. Very often, the investor will take the growth money out and there is no problem.

Because you are so impressed you put a little bit more money in and you get another good return and you can take the growth money out and there’s no problem.

Incidentally, if ever you want to take the whole lot out, you will usually hit a brickwall. However assuming that you haven’t:

You are so impressed that you then invest your life savings. Either communication stops or they want a fee for some kind of spurious licence required by the authorities in Singapore, Timbuktu, Latvia, Estonia, the Dominican Republic, or somewhere else where it’s impossible to find out if it’s legitimate or not.

There has been a lot in the press about this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/online-scam-thousands-pounds-life-savings-trading-binary-options-fraud-pensioners-fca-a7865856.html

You can of course issue Small Claims Court proceedings against them but that’s probably not going to be particularly practical depending on where they are.

I have had dozens of these and the money never gets recovered.

I’m sorry, I know this is probably not the answer you wanted.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES