james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am in the process of registering two LPAs(health &

I am in the process of registering two LPAs(health & finance)with the OPG on behalf of my Mum(the donor) I am her sole attorney. She has appointed 2 replacement attorneys. The OPG says that she has stated they can act jointly as opposed to jointly & severally. She wants to change this to jointly & severally. The OPG says she has to start all over again by submitting a new application & paying for it again. Is there no other way round this? Can she not just change that one section before it is registered? Thanks, Sue.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Worcestershire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Will have to reply later as I have a work call now. Sorry. I've asked if we can just change that bit. They haven't responded.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but I can't connect now.

If they have already started processing the documents they will charge.

unfortunately to make the change,nit would be a new application and charge.

you would think they would just stop process and carry on with the changed documents.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If we go ahead & get it registered anyway, would my Mum be able to change this detail at a later date? It's very difficult to do anything at the moment due to Covid regulations. I think it would be better to have something in place as soon as possible so my Mum has me to act for her if need be.

Yes she can, so long as she remains to have capacity to make the LPA

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Do you reckon that's my best way forward then? In my appeal to the OPG I've explained the difficulties re.Covid, my Mum being a vulnerable age etc & the need to get it sorted a.s.a.p. Am I wasting my time trying to appeal to their better nature? Will they definitely say I have to submit a new application & pay again? I assume the current one can't be amended?

New forms would need to be completed anyway, they cannot change what they have. Send in the new forms with explanation and they may waive the fee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it. Best wishes, Sue.