Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

If someone announces several times that they want to leave a

Hi, if someone announces several times that they want to leave a flat, but their flatmate deliberately blocks the exit door with their body, is the one who wants to leave allowed to push them aside in order to leave? Provided the pushing does not include any hitting or similar that is?

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

You may use "reasonable force" to remove yourself from the situation. So long as the force you are using is for the pure purpose of leaving and is not to cause the other person harm then no offence would be committed.

It is far better however to ask them to move and warn that if they do not let you out you will call the Police. If they utterly refuse, the call the Police rather than push your way out. Otherwise things might escalate and you could be harmed. Also, you could be accused of doing something you didn't do, it will be your word against theirs if that person ends up injured.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dear *****, thank you very much for your detailed and helpful answer. Just to let you know, nobody here is in danger right now. I would just like to know my rights. Could you please also let me know in which case blocking the door becomes an offence? Is it enough to stand in front of the door, and not moving when asked or when the other person announces several times that they wish to leave? Thanks again and best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am very happy to rate you with 5 stars. You have already helped me a lot.

Well, it is technically false imprisonment but only if the person physically stops you from leaving i.e. grabs you as you try to get past and won't let you out or holds the door handle and won't let go.

Even if it is not technically an offence i.e. they are not physically stopping you leaving but you are fearful of them the Police will usually come out and try to resolve things for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you again.