Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

I have 3 Notice of intended prosecutions(NIP) dated

I have 3 Notice of intended prosecutions(NIP) dated 05/05/2020; 06/05/2020. I' haven't responded yet. In the NIP, it say to repond within 28 days. Am I late or not?
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: No
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: What do you think if I sent the NIP now to the police?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just I want to know if I can send them now, or not.

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is***** am a barrister and will assist you with this issue today.

Please be aware that this is an e-mail service rather than a live chat. Sometimes there will be some delay between responses but I will try to reply as soon as possible.

What are these NIPs for please? Are they for speeding?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the NIP is for speeding

Ok, so it is the 172 notices that need to be sent back within 28 days. These are the forms which say who was driving.

Failing to reply to this within 28 days is technically an offence and each carries 6 points.

In my experience the Police give a little bit of leeway beyond the 28 days before they prosecute. So long as you reply immediately and ensure you fill the form in fully with an admission of driving/ nomination of the driver and ensure you sign the form they should accept it still.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.