How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5184
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am looking for a Legal Aid Solicitor who could represent

This answer was rated:

I am looking for a Legal Aid Solicitor who could represent my son who is currently into his 15th year in prison at Wakefield. He was given 16 years minimum term for murder for his plea of ‘ Not Guilty’. He has a parole review at the end of the year and will need support and representation as he has been diagnosed with boarder line autism.
Can you advise me which Solicitor would be most suitable.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I didn’t know I had to
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I spoke to a Lawyer who advised me to contact another lawyer. I have also emailed one who didn’t get back to me yet.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes l have been told by my son that three years ago he actually said at one of his therapy meetings that he must have done what he was sentenced for. He has attended all his meetings and groups sessions available to him.

Hello I am a criminal and prison law solicitor advocate

I may assist today.

So your son is currently in year 15 of a minimum 16 year sentence. Currently at HMP Wakefield.
Do you know who your sons sentence plan has gone?

Does he have any outstanding work or courses to complete?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I know he has completed all courses I think available to him

Ok thank you for that.

So I would imagine that the purpose of the hearing at the end of the year would be to consider transfer to open prison prior to possible release.

Due to your son being in a Cat A prison, this is a high security prison, there will be a number of issues to overcome.

First your son would need to show that he can get on in a lower cat prison, then there would be day release, then open conditions with work release, all before actual parole would happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only wanted a recommended Solicitor’s firm I could use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but he will still need support for the parole hearing.

Yes of course.

Few criminal legal aid forms actually deal with prison law, because it is a specialist legal aid area which a separate contract applies.

The Insidetimes will list such experts. They can set up legal aid for your son for the forthcoming Parole board hearing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for now.

Your very welcome.

come back if you need further help.

Here to help you through this.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks again