james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have agreed to sign as a guarantor for my daughter who is

I have agreed to sign as a guarantor for my daughter who is moving into her first rented property however one of the clauses is
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: “this agreement cannot be cancelled by the guarantor nor will it become unenforceable by the guarantor’s death or bankruptcy” How can they hold me responsible is I am dead.?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: i have just received the tenancy agreement nothing signed or filed but my daughter is due to move in on sat 13th June the property is located in Barnsley South Yorkshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I appreciate my liability as guarantor but if bankrupt or dead how cN my estate still be held responsible - once my daughter leaves the property as the agreed tenancy agreement my liability as guarantor ends
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (GPQ5QQT)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please could someone advise if standard agreement

Hello I will assist today.

Clause 5 basically means that on your death etc, the actual tenancy agreement remains valid, obviously the landlord would not be able to claim from you in that event, but your daughter will still remain liable for the agreement during its period even in the event of your death or bankruptcy.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you having seen the agreement attached is there anything in it that concerns you or is it just a standard guarantor agreement?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No please leave it

It is all standard clauses.