SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

A friend of mine is receiving abusive messages from someone.

Hi there. A friend of mine is receiving abusive messages from someone. Threatening her and her family and constantly harassing her with phone calls and texts. Is it worth speaking to the police about this? This person has been making threats towards her and her family member and promised to make her life hell.
JA: Have harassment charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: No
JA: Where did the harassment occur?
Customer: Online, text messages and phone calls
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

What is the relationship between the person sending the messages and the person receiving them?

Please read the following:

1. This is an email service, not live chat, so responses are not always instantaneous.
  2. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  3. I will ask questions on what I need from you, please answer each question clearly and briefly.
  4. If you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that. As per no.2 above, I will not be calling you.
  5. If you do want a call, let me know so that I can opt out of your question and another expert can assist you.
  6. Please refer all questions regarding finance and costs of the site to customer services as I have no ability to assist you with that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no relationship she lives in the U.K. and he lives in Ireland. They met online playing a game
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would not like to talk over the phone. Just after some advice if she can do something about it as she’s asked him to stop and he hasn’t. Said the police can’t touch him as he lives in Ireland

In that case I would strongly suggest that she reports the matter to the police. They can contact the police in Ireland to speak to him, so the fact that he is not in England is not going to protect him particularly well if that is what he thinks!

In the meantime she should block all methods of contact with him - block him from her phone, turn his emails into spam etc., and not respond to him any further in any way, shape or form. She should not tell him she has reported him to the police - just block him and let the police deal with the matter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help

You're very welcome.

Make sure she blocks him!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She’s worried about the threats towards her family members and he threatens them every time she tells him to stop and blocks him. Just feels trapped by this person.

That's why I said she must block all forms of contact, inform the police and let them deal with it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

No problem at all.

I'd appreciate if you could kindly take a moment to rate positively - thank you!