Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

How much notice do i have to give on a statutory periodic

How much notice do i have to give on a statutory periodic tenancy. Is one month from date of notice or one month from next rent payment.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I save submitted a notice to quit stating 1 month from date of notice
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: ashford, kent, uk
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Landlords are Fergus And Judith Wilson and they suggested to us by email on 17th april to find another property and landlord
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Next rent payment is due 21st June, i sent notice on 2nd June with a leave date of 1st July
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They have acknowledged the notice thanking us for submitting notice to leave on 20th July, not what our original NTQ stated

Hi, with a statutory periodic tenancy, you as the Tenant need to give the Landlord 1 month's Notice, such notice to end on the day before your monthly rent is payable. So, I am afraid your Notice is invalid and strictly speaking your Landlord could reject it.

What you should do is to serve Notice at any time before 20 June giving the Landlord notice that you want the tenancy to end on 20 July. However, if the Landlord confirms in writing that they are happy to accept your already served Notice on the basis that the tenancy is to expire on 20 July, you do not need to serve another Notice.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for but if I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could leave feedback with 4 or 5 stars before you leave the site this evening.

Good luck

Andrew