How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8948
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My neighbours have been given planning permission for an

This answer was rated:

My neighbours have been given planning permission for an extension which would encroach on my property. I challenged the planning department who told me that this is a civil matter. Do I need to spend money to defend my own property?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Sale, Trafford
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had a downstairs bathroom built three years ago, and the drain pipe runs along a wall that the neighbours intend to use as a party wall. The extension was built about 15 cm inside the boundary to conform with regulations at the time, but the fence that ran along the boundary, which was removed during the build was not replaced.

Hi thank you for your message, the issue here is proving that is the boundary line. The land registry plans are only accurate to within a foot of the boundary therefore 15 cm is clearly prone to error. Therefore,you would almost certainly need to spend money I am afraid if only to first demonstrate this is indeed the boundary using a surveyor. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the best way to find a reliable surveyor?

Hi thank you for your message, I recommend using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case property law.