marcusmalin
marcusmalin,
66642005

I am divorced and we are going through the process of

Hi,I am divorced and we are going through the process of finalising the financial settlement.My ex husband is still living in our family home (I moved out with the children in july 2019). We have since agreed 50/50 custody of the children.I have been advised that I should stop paying half the mortgage because he will not agree a settlement.I am told that if he continues to pay the mortgage (which I believe he will (I will have visibility of payment to confirm this)) then I will not weaken my position in court in terms of division of the asset.Is this the case?He can afford to pay without my contribution. I can afford to continue to pay half.I don’t want to lose the same claim on the property.ThanksFern

Hello Fern, my name is Marcus.

Absolutely you have no obligation to pay anything towards the mortgage and it will not have any detrimental effect in anyway at all.

If your ex husband is living in the Family Home to your detriment then he should be responsible for the full mortgage payment.